St Lawrence Church
St Lawrence Church, High Street
- Phone: 01276 858197
- St Lawrence Church
- Contact Name: The Vicar
Products and Services Details
The ancient church of St Lawrence, Chobham dates from 1080 and is dedicated to St Lawrence who was martyred for his faith in Rome in 257.
St Lawrence stands in the village centre. Around it is the old churchyard. Until 1215 the dead were taken for burial to Chertsey. The Norman Arcade Petition was then made to Pope Honorious for permission to bury the dead in a graveyard surrounding the church. This was granted subject to our giving Chertsey Abbey 10 lbs of beedwax a year, and so the Bee Farm was established on Chobham Common.
The Church is entered through an outer wooden porch, believed to have come from Chertsey Abbey after its suppression by Henry VIII in 1538.
Visit the parish web page for photo's of the church and the parish diary.
For a bit more history on the church of St Lawrence, visit http://www.chobham.net/st-lawrence